Monday, January 16, 2012

Mellie's Mouse Adventure or Mellie's Christmas Holiday part two

Today I will be describing the events of the day after Christmas, which turned into a very hectic and panic filled day for the Simicek household.

The day started off nice enough.  Me and Mellie got up early to do some Christmas shopping.  It was Pippin's birthday, so I needed to get cake mix and frosting to make his birthday cupcakes, and I was meeting up with some old friends for a late lunch.  This came up late on Saturday, so I needed to get them all gifts as I hadn't planned on seeing them (although I was delighted about the lunch). 

As I was putting Mellie in her car seat, I noticed some of the fluff coming out.  I thought that she had been picking at it on the long drive home from Lolita on Saturday, she hadn't slept too much during it.  However, when I hopped into the driver's seat, I saw tangerine peel debris all over the place, where I had left a WHOLE tangerine Saturday.  Sighing, I realized our mouse had found it's way into the car for a little treat.  I didn't think too much of it, I just called Ronnie and told him about it and we were on our way.

First stop was Kroger for the cake mix.  I also wanted to get her a Jingles Hallmark dog with the book where when you read certain phrases the dog responds.  I had seen it Friday and Ronnie wouldn't let me get it.  He said I could get it after Christmas when it was discounted.  So, Monday morning, I ran to Kroger hoping they still had one.  They did not.  I was terribly disappointed.  So, I got two boxes of cake mix and frosting (Maggie's birthday was the following Saturday) and we drove on to Target in Rosenberg.

We got there early enough that there wasn't much of a crowd.  As usual, Mellie refused to sit in the cart seat, and I put her in the cart with the usual stipulation that she sit.  We went around the store picking out gifts for my friends and for Mellie, and some items that we needed.  About halfway through the trip, Mellie decided to cause chaos and started throwing items out of the cart and screaming bloody murder.  I was terribly embarrassed.  Of course, I still had people come and tell me how cute my baby was.  I was like, are you serious?  Can you not hear her screams?  Do you not see her throwing items OUT OF THE CART???  Instead, I thanked them and smiled.  On our way out, I called Ronnie and asked if he wanted Starbucks.  He wanted an eggnog latte.  I tried to order one, but of course they were out of eggnog.  So, I got him a gingerbread one instead, which he wasn't terribly thrilled about when we got home.  Oh, and I spilled one of the drinks on the way out as I didn't have enough hands to hold a screaming Mellie, push a cart, and hold BOTH drinks....

So, we safely got home and gave Ronnie his coffee.  I put Mellie down for a nap while I gift wrapped the gifts.  Meanwhile, Ronnie went out to take a look at the car seat.  He noticed that the mouse had chewed on the strap with the seat buckle.  He took the car seat completely out to examine it closer, only to discover that the mouse had also chewed the same strap further down in the seat and it was barely attached.  Thank God we weren't in a wreck while running errands.  Mellie could have been seriously hurt.

So, we added up our Christmas gift money and decided to use it to buy a new seat.  Now comes the discussion about which one to buy.  I didn't really like the one we had and didn't want to get the same one.  We discussed whether to get a cheap one or a nice one, and whether we should get a convertible one or just put her in a forward facing one.  Mellie was still napping, and obviously we couldn't take her anywhere, so I sent Ronnie to buy the seat, while I waited at home.  And waited.  And waited some more.  Tick tock, tick tock.  I started stressing out that I was going to be late for lunch with my friends.  Tick tock, tick tock.  I worried some more when I realized one of my friends was coming on her lunch break and wouldn't have too much time.  Tick tock, tick tock.  Finally, Ronnie was home. 

He had bought a forward facing seat that we had admired when we bought her convertible one.  We got it out of the box and attempted to get it prepared to put in the car.  Of course, it took two adults with masters degrees an enormous amount of time to get it installed, but we finally got it set up, and Mellie buckled in. 

This is when I discovered that Ronnie didn't know he was "invited."  As if he has ever NOT been invited.  He "wasn't ready" to go, so I decided to take Mellie and leave and he could meet us at Dimasi's when he was ready.

By now, I was very stressed out.  It was the time we were supposed to meet, and I was barely leaving my house, which was 20-30 minutes away.  Needless to say, that nice newly paved stretch of Harlem, I was speeding.  Only to get caught in a speed trap DPS had put up.  And, I didn't know where the insurance was.  I thought it was probably in Ronnie's wallet.  Turns out it was in the sunglasses place.  Fortunately, he only gave me one ticket and sent me on my way.  To make matters worse, when I texted Ronnie to tell him, he said he "meant to tell me about that." 

Anyhow, I eventually got to lunch.  We had a very nice time visiting with Alexine and Christine, and Ronnie eventually made it.  Mellie was reasonably behaved, and got several nice gifts.  Christine got her a baby doll, which has become Mellie's favorite (last night she was standing on it's arm).  Both Christine and Alexine seemed to think it was "creepy" because when you put the bottle to its lips to acts like it is drinking.  I didn't think it was terribly creepy, and Mellie just loves it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment