Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Update

So, it has been a while since I have posted here.  Life happens, things get put to the back burner, most days I just try to make it through the day.

Most significantly, Mellie is now a proud big sister.  Luke Joseph "LJ" Simicek was born 01/23/2013.  Mellie LOVES her little brother, although she is often jealous of the attention he receives and can often be heard telling him "LJ down" like he's a naughty dog that got up on the furniture without permission.

In less than a month, my Mellie will be three years old.  Attempts to potty train have gone very poorly and all parties have pretty much decided to let her decide when she is ready.  She is talking up a storm, but is difficult to understand.  When the twins at her day care had their second birthday party last April, I realized that her language development was about par with theirs, and she is about eight months older.  So, I had her assessed by a Speech Therapist and she has been diagnosed with Expressive Language Disorder with Articulation Deficits.  I will write more about this in a blog all it's own.

Mellie is currently obsessed with "Sulley" from Monsters Inc.  I took her last week to see Monsters University with our friend Kathryn.  This was her first movie that she actually watched at the movie theatre, and although she loves Monsters Inc, Monsters University was probably mostly over her head.  Not really designed for preschoolers.  But she enjoyed herself, anyhow.  Popcorn IS among her favorite foods.

Along with Sulley, she loves Mickey Mouse, Stitch from Lilo and Stitch, and Puss in Boots.  She also likes Merida from Brave.  I try to keep her away from the traditional Disney movies -- I don't feel like they are very empowering nor do they have good messages.  My Mellie doesn't need to wait for a man to rescue her.  She can rescue herself.  Which is why I really like that she has taken to Merida.

She is a little monster and gets into EVERYTHING.  This weekend she got into trouble for getting the dish soap and pouring it on the floor, pouring sugar into clean dishes, and using chalk to decorate the guest bathroom mirror.  Last night she got in trouble for scratching me in the face.  On purpose.  Three times.

Despite the times she makes me want to pull out my hair or hide under the bed in the fetal position, she is a very smart and affectionate little girl.  She is already ready for a hug and a kiss, and will spontaneously give kisses to LJ.  Last night, he was crying in his swing so she brought him a bunch of toys to cheer him up.  I find myself thinking wistfully of getting home to hug her tight and cover her with kisses and hear her sweet little laugh.

My worst fear, however, has been realized.  She is a very girly girl.  She loves outfits, especially dresses, shoes, purses, jewelry, hair bows, painting her nails, etc.  I recently bought her a magnetic princess that she can put dresses and shoes and other accessories on.  She loves it.  She loves to Go Go Go, and play with water.

I am working hard to instill my love of all animals in her, and she is taking to it like a champ.  We talk about the cat, the dogs, the squirrels, or any other animals that we see with glee.

I have many ideas in my head for more blog posts.  Mellie has such a big personality, it's not hard to think of topics.  Where I struggle is finding the time to write them.  Wish me luck, send me reminders, give us lots of love and support.  My wish is for Mellie to someday read these posts and see herself through my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment